The Metropolitan building was designed by Detroit firm Weston and Ellington and completed in 1926. Originally built to house wholesale and retail jewelry businesses, it anchored Detroit’s then thriving jewelry district in the Broadway, Woodward, and John R area, which included noted establishments such as Wright Kay, Simmons & Clark, and the Meyer Treasure Chest. An early victim of Downtown’s long retail decline, the building closed in 1977, making it the longest vacant structure currently in Downtown Detroit. Metropolitan Hotel Partners, a joint venture between The Roxbury Group and Means Group, purchased the building in 2016 and has been restored to its original neo-gothic grandeur inside and out. The building houses a 110-room Element Hotel by Westin, a Starwood/Marriott flag. Element is a sister brand to Aloft and features extended-stay accommodations including an on-site food store, full breakfast service and kitchens in all suites. Element Detroit at the Metropolitan includes a roof-top bar with an outdoor terrace, and 4,000 square feet first floor retail surrounding its restored lobby.